April 8, 2008

Simple Pandan Buns

Breads again?? Hehe yeah...sorry to those who may get bored of seeing only bread post recently ..but I couldn't help it...been in this bread baking craze lately. But don't worry, you'll see something else soon. In fact I've been baking alot, but missed blogging cos' I'd just formatted my pc and couldn't find suitable photo viewing/editing software for my pictures. Any recommendations??

Anyway, I made these pandan buns a few weeks back. They were simple plain sweet buns but I added some pandan paste to make it into pandan buns.

I used the sweet bun recipe from Amanda's blog after her reviews on how soft the bread is. True enough, the bread when just baked, was so soft that as what she described, I feared de-shaping my soft soft buns! :D The slight tinge of pandan flavour with sugar toppings rekindle my childhood days where my mum used to buy pandan breads sandwiched with cream. Yum2!

Ingredients:

  • 240g bread flour
  • 60g plain flour
  • 50g castor sugar
  • 10g milk powder
  • 2 tsp instant yeast
  • 1/2 tsp pandan paste
  • 1 egg
  • 150g Milk
  • 20g unsalted butter
  • 5 g salt
  • Coarse sugar for sprinkling on top

Method:

  1. Mix flour, castor sugar, milk powder and yeast till well blended.
  2. Add milk, pandan paste and egg to form a dough.
  3. Add in butter and salt and knead until dough is elastic and smooth.
  4. Gather dough to form a ball and cover dough with cling wrap and let it rest for abt 50-60 mins or double in size.
  5. Divide dough into portions of 60 gm each. Shape into balls and leave it to rest for abt 10 mins. Roll out dough and shape as desired/wrap it with fillings.
  6. Let it proof on lined or greased baking tray for another 50-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
    Apply egg wash (1 beaten egg) or milk on dough and sprinkle toppings as desired on it.
  7. Bake dough at 180-190ºC for abt 12 mins or till lightly brown.

This recipe makes 7 round buns and one small loaf.

Note: I used the bread machine to knead the dough. I do not know what should be the sequence but usually I would start with the liquid ingredients (milk, water), followed by the dry ingredients (e.g. milk powder, sugar), flour and lastly the yeast. I always make sure salt and yeast do not mix.

Recipe Source: Amanda - Held by Love


On the day it was baked, the buns were really soft and fluffy. It started to harden abit the following day. Nevertheless, I love it!! :)

7 comments:

daphne said...

it's 10.50am..that will make a good morning tea break.

Unknown said...

Wow your bread looks good. I shall put this under my to-do-list, if you don't mind?

Anne said...

I love pandan flavoured bread! Yours came out looking just like the ones sold in the bakery :)

Anne said...

I love pandan flavoured bread! Yours came out looking just like the ones sold in the bakery :)

Anonymous said...

Aimei!

All the stuffs u make very mei mei! Must be linked to your name~ :P yes! reminds me of the pandan bread with cream in the center~ =X used to eat alot of that when i am young. *wink*

I'm sorry to hear that it harden abit the next day for u. i hope it is not to hard to be eaten yea? mine was all gone within that very day, so i'm not aware of the texture for leaving it overnight.

Amanda

Aimei said...

Hi Daphne, hehe..that was my afternoon tea break ;)

Hi Emily, of cos I don't mind. It's sharing among all of us who loves baking :)

Thanks Anne! :D

Amanda, it's only a little hard. Still very nice. :) I can understand it's sure to be wiped out on that day cos it's so soft. But there's too much for my family so we couldn't possibly finish. :D

Anonymous said...

How pretty, they look so fluffy and delicious!